If you are currently in need of information on unwanted pregnancy and safe abortion services in Malaysia, we are here to help. Contact us through the RRAAM Hotline.
Read more about abortion in Malaysia
while the law allows abortion if a doctor deems the pregnancy injurious to a woman´s life or to her physical or mental health, this legal right is not widely known.
RRAAM believes that women themselves need to be the main decision maker as to when a pregnancy is injurious to their mental health, as each woman knows her unique mental health needs and social circumstances.
An estimated 100, 000 abortions are sought out yearly in Malaysia.
Globally, approximately 3.9 million adolescent girls risk their lives every year undergoing unsafe abortions.
Complications from pregnancy continue to be the leading cause of death among adolescent girls aged 15-19 in developing countries.
‘Black market’ abortion pills are commonly sold on WhatsApp, Facebook, and other social media sites. We do not recommend buying abortion pills from untrustworthy sources.
Types of Abortion
- Surgical – Vacuum Aspiration (suction abortion) and Dilation & Curettage (D&C)
- Medical – Abortion pills (Mifepristone and Misopristol). These pills are officially unavailable because they have been banned by the Malaysian government. However, online purchases for personal use do continue. It is very important to ensure that you are purchasing registered medication as there exists a rampant scam selling unsafe pills. RRAAM is advocating for medical abortion pills to be made available at clinics and pharmacies in order to increase safe and informed administration of the right dosage.
Up to which week
- At RRAAM, we recommend that medical abortions be done up to 9-10 weeks of pregnancy. This is to take into account the pill delivery time and any other delays that may occur, in order to have a safe and complete medical abortion.
- Surgical abortions can be done up to 20-22 weeks in Malaysia. However, it is always better to have the procedure scheduled as soon as possible, in order to decrease the possibility of any medical complications as the size of pregnancy increases. Additionally, the cost of abortion increases as the size of pregnancy increases. As such, we do not recommend waiting to schedule a procedure, if possible.
- The cost of surgical abortions depend on a few important factors, such as the size of pregnancy and any medical complications you might have. Private hospitals may also charge much higher prices than some clinics. At RRAAM, a general starting point for early pregnancy terminations is RM800, going up to more than RM4000 for second trimester pregnancies (up to 22 weeks). Do note that other costs should be factored into the cost of an abortion, including the cost of travel and accommodation if you are traveling from a different state in the country to have the procedure done.
- The cost of medical abortions depends on the provider. As the abortion pill is not registered for distribution in Malaysia, clinics and hospitals cannot prescribe or sell the abortion pill. As such, abortion pills purchased online from trusted sources range from an 80 Euro (around RM350) contribution to Women on Web (womenonweb.org) to RM580 from safeparenthood.org. Delivery times may vary.
- Surgical abortion at our RRAAM-recommended, women-friendly clinics is usually conducted through a process called Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA). This is a simple procedure done early in pregnancy, which uses the suction of a syringe to remove the pregnancy tissue from the uterus. A local anaesthetic is used to numb the cervix and medicines to reduce pain and anxiety may also be offered. Between 6-12 weeks, MVA is usually a fairly simple procedure, taking around 15 to 30 minutes to complete. After resting for 1-2 hours at the clinic or medical facility, the client can then return home and proceed with their regular activities.
- Medical abortion. This treatment at home is suitable for pregnancies up to 9-10 weeks. The abortion pills (Mifepristone and Misoprostol) initiate a process identical to a natural miscarriage. Heavy bleeding may occur for days after taking misoprostol, accompanied by cramps and other symptoms of nausea and diarrhea. Spotting may continue for 1-2 weeks. Different individuals react differently to the medical abortion process. Most say that it is like a normal period, but a minority find the side effects of medical abortion potentially distressing.
- Additional reading: Click here.
- The surgical abortion under MVA is a fairly simple procedure, with a quick recovery time of 1 to 2 days, depending on the client and their situation.
- When done by an experienced medical practitioner, the surgical abortion guarantees that the abortion is completed safely during the procedure itself.
- Medical abortions can be done in the privacy of your own home or chosen environment. Many women also opt for the convenience of having the pills delivered directly to them, rather than having to travel to a clinic.
- Abortion pills can be significantly cheaper than a surgical abortion procedure.
- Surgical abortions can cost significantly more than medical abortions, depending on the medical facility and fees. However, after the recommended 9-10 week deadline for medical abortion has passed, surgical abortions are the only option for a safe abortion.
- Medical abortions have a slightly lower rate of success than surgical abortion, at 95%. Women also report symptoms during medical abortion that include stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea, and heavy bleeding. A small percentage of women find these symptoms highly distressing during the medical abortion.